Michael Jon Shalbrack
Mike Shalbrack’s practice covers a broad range of business issues affecting closely held business entities. He is a member of the firm and works in the Corporate & Business Law Group. He offers counsel on the formation of business organizations, corporate and partnership governance, the acquisition and sale of companies, real estate acquisition and dispositions, financing and security agreements, leasing and miscellaneous business transactions.
Mike’s practice consists of commercial and consumer real estate work, estate planning and administration, elder law and work with senior/nursing home and assisted living facilities.
Mike’s practice also entails handling tax controversies before the IRS and State of Illinois as well as matters before other administrative bodies. Mike represents clients with tax assessment matters before local Boards of Review and the Property Tax Appeal Board.
Mike is an advisor to non-profit organizations and is counsel to many in the northern Illinois area. Mike is a speaker and panelist at bar association functions and other professional programs. Topics have included: “IRS CIRCULAR 230-What You Need To Know”; “Trust Fund Taxes: Section 6672 Defenses”; “MultiState Comparison of Advanced Directives”; “NonDeductibility Disclosure for Non-Profits”; “Fundraising and Compliance Issues for Charitable Organizations”; “Federal Tax Considerations for Not For Profit Organizations”; “Non-Profits: Hot Topics You Should Know”; New Illinois Durable Power of Attorney Act 2011.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association (Member)
- Winnebago County Bar Association (Former Treasurer; Business and Tax, Estate Section Chairman)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Northern Illinois (Former Director; President)
- Comprehensive Community Solutions, “Rockford YouthBuild” (Former Director; Treasurer)
- Winnebago County Bar Foundation (Former Director; Secretary)
- Certified Mediator, 17th Judicial Circuit
- Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, Professional Advisory Board
- Union League Club - Chicago (Member)
- “Leading Lawyer”, Illinois
- Thomas Keeling & Moore, P.C. (1985-1986)
- Hinshaw & Culberston, P. C. (1987)
- Holmstrom & Kennedy, P.C. (1987-Present)